CSX3237 Vehicle Information and History:
- Built in May 1966, CSX 3237 is an iconic Shelby Cobra finished in red with a black interior.
- Previous owners of CSX 3237 include J. Rhoades Moore, French Hickman, and Phil Combs.
- Originally equipped with a powerful 428 cu. in. V8 engine.
- Underwent a restoration in the 1980s, bringing it back to its original red color and adding updates like an oil cooler and custom roll bar.
- Sold to an owner in Japan before returning to the United States.
- Restored to show-winning quality while maintaining the ability for enjoyable long-distance tours.
- Features authentic components, including proper leather seats, original steering wheel, and custom exhaust headers.
- The rebuilt engine delivers impressive power, with a dyno test showing 460 bhp.
- CSX 3237 comes with extensive documentation, accessories, and is highly coveted by collectors.
The Shelby Cobra, born from Carroll Shelby’s ingenious vision, revolutionized the automotive world by marrying an AC Ace chassis with a potent Ford V8 engine. With its sleek design and unmatched performance, the Cobra dominated both the racetrack and the sales charts, solidifying its status as an iconic sports car of its time. Among the Cobra lineage, CSX 3237 holds a special place.
Built in May 1966, CSX 3237 boasted a striking red exterior complemented by a black interior, and was initially equipped with a robust 428 cu. in. V8 engine. J. Rhoades Moore of Enid, Oklahoma, became its first documented owner, followed by French Hickman, who acquired the car in the early 1970s and had it refinished in a captivating blue hue.
Over the years, CSX 3237 underwent transformations that enhanced its allure and performance. In the 1980s, the Cobra received a meticulous restoration, restoring it to its original red livery. The restoration also included notable updates such as an oil cooler, hood scoop, quick jacks, black side pipes, and a custom roll bar, elevating its aggressive stance and capturing the essence of the legendary 427 Cobra.
Phil Combs of California acquired CSX 3237 and entrusted its full restoration to the esteemed Cobra specialist, Mike McCluskey. With unwavering commitment to authenticity, every original component of the car was either rebuilt or upgraded, ensuring a faithful return to factory-original specification. The interior was meticulously crafted with proper leather seats, correct Wilton carpeting, and the original steering wheel and air splitter. Custom exhaust headers were fitted, and the engine underwent a high-performance rebuild, yielding an impressive 460 bhp at the crankshaft, as confirmed by a dyno test.
CSX 3237 embarked on an international journey, finding a new home in Japan during the 1990s, before eventually returning to the United States. Recognizing its exceptional heritage, the most recent owner entrusted its care to the renowned Cobra specialists at Curt Vogt’s Cobra Automotive in Connecticut. The car underwent an extensive restoration with the dual aim of winning shows and delivering exhilarating long-distance drives. No expense was spared to bring CSX 3237 to its pristine condition, ensuring that it stands as a remarkable testament to Shelby’s enduring legacy.
Accompanied by extensive documentation, including its original window sticker, Shelby American invoice, and a certified copy of the AC Cobra Chassis Instruction Book, CSX 3237 is a complete package. It comes with an owner’s manual, jack, grease gun, top irons and convertible top, side curtains, tonneau cover, and a spare set of Halibrand wheels and tires, in addition to the original Sunburst wheels with Avon tires, including a trunk-mounted spare wheel.
CSX 3237 is more than just a car; it is an embodiment of automotive history, craftsmanship, and passion. With its remarkable provenance, meticulous restoration, and unparalleled performance, this Shelby Cobra exemplifies the indomitable spirit of Carroll Shelby and his relentless pursuit of automotive excellence. It is an invitation to experience the thrill, power, and unrivaled charisma of a true American icon.